Our Legacy & Heritage
To promote and engage in civic and social activities which shall preserve the heritage of the club and its landmark building; encourage cultural and historic interest in the community; contribute to improving the welfare and education of children and youth, seniors, and those in need; and, foster relationships with like-minded organizations.
Established the first free kindergarten in the Harrisburg School District, built Riverfront Park, continues to host the 1st inter-agency breakfast of like-minded service organizations. In past years, The Affiliates hosted "Manners Matter" for many for 7-12 years old to teach them table manners, anti-bullying, appropriate use of social media, ballroom dancing and proper etiquette.
History of The Civic Club of Harrisburg
Traced to the early settlers of Harrisburg, The Civic Club of Harrisburg building belonged to William Reynolds Fleming in the early 20th century. He called the home “Overlook” inasmuch as it sits high on the banks of the Susquehanna River—the only remaining residence on the west side of Front Street in Harrisburg. The stately Tudor-style, stone structure, was often referred to as a “manor house” in historic documents. Fleming built the home adjacent to “the Waterworks,” since his firm, Fleming’s Foundry & Machine Works, landed the contract to build the pumping station. Architect William Hart Boughton (AIA) of Buffalo, NY, designed both the industrial site and the home. The residence, located on .463 acres, has served as a community meeting place and a site for public and private events for the past century.
In 1914, Fleming’s widow, Virginia Hammond Fleming, thought so highly of the club and its mission that she bequeathed the property to The Civic Club of Harrisburg. Full title was given to the club in 1916. From then until now, the building has been maintained by the club’s members.